Digital Media


Join Bodmin College and Falmouth University on our new Digital Media Foundation Degree

The course offers great opportunities for careers in a variety of commercial and design practices

A creative multi-discipline course, which includes graphic design, film-making, photography and web-based activities.

Created out of our extensive experience of Creative Digital Education, Bodmin College is delighted to be partnering with Falmouth University

in the development of this new FdA in Digital Media.



Industry technology at your finger tips

So why study digital media?

"Digital Media is an ever-­expanding discipline, which combines graphics, video, product design and web-­based activities. The convergence of these areas is where a lot of students have been heading towards for some time now. Digital Media is a course that enables a variety of areas of interest to develop with specific skill-sets and design aspirations. The subject area is very relevant to the discipline and for job opportunities in commercial and design practices."

Dr Shaun Murray - External Examiner for Ba (Hons) Digital Media

......Why Bodmin?

With inspirational staff and facilities we are a vibrant home for digital creative research and the innovative application of the latest digital technologies.


Bodmin is the perfect place to study this exciting and rapidly evolving subject,  Digital Media.

A unique location where beautiful landscapes and incredible coastlines provide stunning vistas that juxtapose with urban peculiarities immersed in a rich heritage of artistic endeavor.

Inspirational facilities

2 Years Study at

FdA Digital Media


Optional 3rd year Study at

A Falmouth University Degree

Studying Digital Media at Bodmin will put you at the heart of Cornwall's Creative heritage and rapidly developing creative digital economy.


We are looking for fresh thinking contributors and we welcome applications from diverse educational backgrounds.


Students with a passion for creative technology, media production and computing, alongside film-makers, designers, artists, gamers, writers and image-makers are at home in our dynamic, multi-disciplined FdA Digital Media.


We look for students who are excited by collaboration and experimentation, fusing traditional media and digital development to shape new forms of communication.


As part of the course you'll have a cutting-edge Digital Media Centre purpose built for the course. Facilities include Apple computers and a drive-in digital studio.


The development technologies available include digital design and editing suites, digital still and moving image studios and a physical computing lab.


Our students are makers. They learn through doing and dissolve definitions such as online/offline to explore how physical computing meets behavioral design.

Supported through workshops across a wide variety of media and programming skills, you'll be introduced to design fundamentals in sketching and notation, and the three sets of tools and techniques that focus Digital Media's output: interaction, image and audio design.


In your first year you'll learn the basics of designing and programming for online media and mobile apps, video production, sound recording and mixing, graphics and hardware interfaces.


In year 2 we encourage you to focus on your areas of interest as well as studying the more advanced problem-solving and technical skills development.


The Modules that make up our FdA Digital Media

Year 1

Year 2

So Bodmin FdA Digital Media is for you?

Find out more below

How to apply

So you're considering Bodmin, you'll probably have a few questions about the course, what we look for when we're selecting our students, and what it's like to study here.

  • How do I apply?

    Undergraduate courses

    To apply to one of our undergraduate courses you will need to make an application through UCAS.

  • What is the deadline for applying?

    The deadline for all UCAS undergraduate courses is 15 January in the year you wish to commence studying. In practice, we may be able to accept late applications if places are still available. It's best to check with the Admissions team first. If you wish to take a gap year and apply for a deferred place, you need to apply a year early. For example, applications for 2016 entry must be made by 15 January 2016.


    If you are a UK/EU applicant and places are still available, then we may be able to accept late applications until the course becomes full. However, we do recommend you submit your application before the deadline to maximise your chances of gaining a place.

  • What happens next after I've applied?

    We will let you know as soon as we've begun to process your application, usually by email and with a letter to your correspondence address.  The UCAS cycle opens in October each year. We are normally in a position to start considering applications in November, for entry the following September.

  • What are your entry requirements?

    A typical offer is between 104 and 120 UCAS points for entry to undergraduate courses, primarily from Level 3 equivalent qualifications such as A levels, a BTEC Extended Diploma or a Foundation Diploma.


    You can check how many points your qualifications are worth using the online UCAS Tariff Calculator


    We also look for qualities which can't always be evidenced through qualifications alone. We seek students who are prepared to innovate, push boundaries, research and think for themselves. We require our students to be self-motivated and passionate about their subject area. For this reason, we will ask to see a portfolio of your work and we'll also meet with you to discuss your creative practice and your ambitions; we don't look at your UCAS points in isolation. Therefore if you are predicted to achieve grades that fall outside of the 104 and 120 UCAS points range please continue with your application and contact the Admissions team if you need any advice.

  • International Students

    Bodmin College welcomes international applications, however we are unable to support international students who require a Tier 4 Student Visa to study in the UK. Typically students from EU countries, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Channel Islands and Isle of Man will not require a Tier 4 visa. If you are unsure whether you require a Tier 4 Student Visa,  please check the UK Visas and Immigration website.


    If English is not your first language we will request an English language exam report to ensure that you meet our language requirement. For undergraduate study this is an IELTS (Academic) overall score of 6.0 (with a minimum score of 5.5 in all four areas tested) or a recognised equivalent such as Pearson PTE Academic. These tests must have been taken no earlier than two years before you start at Falmouth.

  • What UCAS codes will I need?

    Fda in Digital Media at Bodmin College is a franchised provision. You will be paying your tuition fees to directly Falmouth University.


    The UCAS institution code for Falmouth University is F33.

    Fda Digital Media Course code is T348

  • What do you mean by a Level 3 qualification?

    Levels of academic study in England, Northern Ireland and Wales are officially recognised through the Qualifications and Credit Framework (QCF). The National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) helps to compare International qualifications against these recognised standards as established as part of the Bologna Process.


    Examples of UK qualifications and levels:


    Level 3: A Levels, Extended (National) Diploma, Scottish Highers, International Baccalaureate

  • Do I need a Foundation Diploma to apply for Fda Digital Media?

    We accept applicants straight from A Level if your portfolio is strong enough.

  • Can I change my application to deferred entry once I've applied?

    While we welcome deferred entry at the time of application, once an offer has been made we can only defer your entry in exceptional circumstances. Your request will need to be put in writing and supporting evidence sent to Admissions. Please contact the Admissions team as soon as possible if you find yourself in this situation.

  • Can I nominate someone else to handle my application?

    We will not discuss your application with anyone apart from you unless you formally ask us to. If you'd like someone else to handle your application on your behalf, please send a letter to the Admissions office with the details of your nominated contact.

  • Can I reapply to Bodmin if I've been unsuccessful?

    While you can't reapply to the same course in the same admissions cycle, we would welcome another application from you next year. It is possible to apply to a different course at Falmouth in the same admissions year, if there are places available.

  • I am returning to study after a break from education. How do I apply?

    You need to apply in the same way as other applicants. Undergraduate applicants must apply through UCAS. See 'how do I apply?' above.

  • Is there a minimum or maximum age requirement for applying?

    All applicants apply in the same way, regardless of their age. Undergraduate applicants must apply using UCAS.


    There is no upper or lower age limit for students entering higher education. However, the recognised entry requirements for Bodmin's courses are unlikely to be achieved by most candidates below the age of 17. If a student is under the age of 18 on joining Bodmin, we will send you a form of consent, which will need to be signed by you and your parent or guardian. In the case of emergencies, a member of Bodmin staff may need to act in loco parentis (in place of a parent) and this is a requirement of an offer being made to someone under 18.

  • Can I apply without formal qualifications?

    Yes. However if you don't have formal qualifications, you will be required to provide evidence of equivalent experience and you may be asked to complete some work to demonstrate your suitability for the course you're applying to. Applicants without formal qualifications should apply using our APEL (Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning) process outlined below.

  • What is APCL?

    APCL stands for Accreditation of Prior Certificated Learning. It's the process used to evidence equivalent academic credits already gained at another institution. Most often it's used for applicants transferring from another university to Bodmin. An APCL form will need to be completed by applicants in addition to the normal application form.

  • What is APEL?

    APEL stands for Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning. It's the process we use to evidence learning experiences which are gained through (un)paid work or business endeavor when an applicant doesn't have formal certificates or transcripts. This experience should be current (gained within the last five years) and should be equivalent (to the learning outcomes of our minimum entry qualifications). An APEL form will need to be completed by applicants in addition to the normal application form.

  • Do I need a portfolio to apply to Bodmin?

    Yes, we will require a portfolio of work and sketchbooks to support it. Viewing your work is the best way for us to understand your creative thinking and to assess whether you would be able to thrive on FdA Digital Media.


    While we expect that you will have been developing your work prior to applying, you are not expected to submit a portfolio with your initial application.


    We will send you clear instructions once you've submitted an application.

  • What makes a strong portfolio?

    Your portfolio says a lot about you. Even though there are no set rules for a successful portfolio, and each course has its own specific requirements, we can make some broad recommendations. It's our intention that you use these as a general guide to help you decide what to include, and what not to include. Make sure your portfolio is:


    Organised - arrange your work and know the contents of your portfolio - make sure you can find things quickly in an interview


    Relevant and current - include pieces that are relevant to the course you're applying to and select recent work - we're most interested in the work you are doing now, not work you made years ago


    Unique - stand out - show how you experiment with materials, processes, colour and different ways of ‘seeing', show the variety and breadth of your work and your technical ability


    Selective - go for quality rather than quantity and select your most interesting pieces, even if they're not ‘finished' - choose work that you feel strongest about, not just the work your tutor likes, to demonstrate your passion to us


    Open - show us how you think - include sketchbooks and workbooks to reveal your thought-processes and your ability to experiment, problem-solve and develop concepts.

  • Where is Bodmin College?

    We are located in Cornwall, in the south west of England. We are approximately 4 hours by train from London, one hour from Exeter and about 45 minutes from Plymouth.

  • Can I make a visit?

    Yes, we recommend you do. We encourage all prospective applicants to see our facilities first-hand and to meet our staff. There are two ways to do this: book a place on an open day or book a personal tour.


    Our open days are


    To book a personal tour please contact Mark Talbot, Course Leader: tm@bodmincollege.co.uk.

  • What are your course fees?

    Fda Digital Media course fees for 2015 entry for UK/EU students will be £6,000 per academic year.

  • What financial support is available ?


    UK undergraduate students are eligible for a tuition fee loan as long as you haven't been to university before. Exactly how much you can borrow, in the form of a living fee loan, will depend on your household income. Contact Student Finance England to find out more.


    Applications for government loans and grants for students from England need to be submitted on-line to Student Finance England. If you normally live in Northern Ireland, Scotland or Wales, you will need to apply to your regional finance team for your loan or grant: Student Finance NI, Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS), or Student Finance Wales.


    EU applicants

    Full-time EU students can apply for a tuition fee loan from Student Finance England but any living expenses will need to be funded though the authorities in your home country. If you have been resident in the UK for three years or more before the start date of your proposed course, for reasons other than education, you may be eligible for a maintenance loan or maintenance grant from Student Finance England. Contact the EU customer services team for further advice and an application form.


  • What other support is there for our students?

    We can provide free, confidential advice with any problem, large or small. Our partnership with Falmouth University means that the Falmouth University student union (FXU)  can also provide impartial support for a wide range of welfare, financial or academic issues.


    It's our aim for you to have the best possible experience at Bodmin, to make the most of your course and fulfil your potential. For more information on any of our services, please contact us.

  • I've already got qualifications. Do I still need to submit samples of work?

    Yes you will. This is a course that requires pre-interview work. We are most interested in your creative ability and this cannot always be evidenced by qualifications alone.

  • What do you mean by a reference?

    A reference is also known as a letter of recommendation. We would generally expect your reference to be written by an academic tutor who can attest to your suitability for study and to your enthusiasm for your chosen subject. However, if you're not currently in education, an employer can also write a reference or letter of recommendation for you.

  • What if I already hold an equivalent qualification to the one I want to apply to?

    If you are a UK/EU resident applying to a course which is at an equivalent or lower level to a qualification that you already hold, you will be considered as ‘ELQ status' by the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE). This may mean that you will not be eligible for government student finance and you will have to fund your studies privately.


    For example, if you were to apply for FDa (Hons) Digital Media and you already held a BSc in Computer Science, you would be considered ELQ because both courses are at an equivalent level. An applicant with a postgraduate MA applying for a undergraduate foundation degree would also be classed as ELQ for funding purposes.

  • Will a disability affect my application?

    We are committed to ensure that, wherever practical, students with disabilities are able to study with us through the support and facilities available. You should declare your disability when you apply so we are able to correctly assess how we can support you through the application process and beyond, if you were to become a student here. Your academic ability will be assessed by academic staff and we will assess the support we can offer you.

  • What will I be expected to pay for as part of my course?

    In addition to tuition fees, you can expect to cover the cost of any stationery, photocopying and printing costs, the cost of the materials you choose to work with, and any study trips and visits. You will be notified about these before the start of term.

  • What do I need to bring with me to interview?

    • Your portfolio, paper, printed or digital
    • Project work
    • Sketch books, digital or paper
    • A piece of writing (a personal study, a media essay etc.)


    Your portfolio should:

    • Demonstrate your ability to investigate ideas
    • Use a range of media
    • Show investigations and experimentation in media
    • Be organised and well presented


    Viewing your work is the best way for us to understand your creative thinking and to assess whether you would be able to thrive on FdA Digital Media.

  • What will happen at my interview?

    You'll be interviewed individually with your portfolios and sketchbooks, by two academic members of staff


    At your interview you'll have a tour where you'll have the chance to ask any questions. Please prepare questions to ask too.


    You will normally receive a response from your interview through UCAS within 5 days.

  • What will happen at my Telephone/Skype interview?

    We use the same requirements, as best as possible, to our in person interviews, so please look at these points to help you prepare. In Addition we would like to see a digital portfolio of your work .


    As soon as possible before your interview please send a link to your online portfolio. It is important that you also have access to this online portfolio during the interview so that we can discuss your work together.


    Your portfolio should contain project work, evidence of preparatory work (photographs of sketchbooks) and a piece of writing (a personal study, a media essay etc) The piece of writing can be emailed separately.


  • How can I prepare for my interview?

    We would like to understand why you might wish to Digital Media at Bodmin. We would like to be able to see that you have some of the fundamental skills that that underpin this subject, your ability to think creatively and your visual language through the use of both traditional and digital technologies.


    We want to hear from you as a person. How you are motivated. The activities and the interests you have.

    Your the experiences that have led you to wish to study this subject.

    •Your portfolio, paper, printed or digital

    •Project work

    •Sketch books, digital or paper

    •A piece of writing (a personal study, a media essay etc.)

    Your portfolio should:

    •Demonstrate your ability to investigate ideas

    •Use a range of media

    •Show investigations and experimentation in media

    •Be organised and well presented

  • What are we looking for in a successful applicant?

    We will be looking for applicants who show:


    • Enthusiasm and commitment to Digital Media.
    • Good communication skills.
    • Analytical skills in relation to digital media arts and design.
    • Ability in some of the following areas Photography, digital image manipulation, video, web, graphic design, digital arts.
    • Creativity and innovation.
    • An aptitude for using digital creative technologies in your work.
    • We will look for understanding of digital technologies and their creative use. We will also look for abstract thinking but only if it is applicable to your recent work/study.
    • We'll also look at your qualifications, personal statement and reference on your application.

We hope we've covered most of the answers to your questions in our FAQs (below), but if you still have some questions and need some more advice before you apply, please do not hesitate to get in touch.  Or better still, come and see us at one of our open days.

Contact Us

Mark Talbot


Course Leader FdA Digital Media

+44 (0)1208 72114 (ext 725)





For UK and EU applications to FdA Digital Media:


+44 (0)1208 72114 (ext 725)


FdA Digital Media Centre


Unit 16

Woods Browning Industrial Estate, Bodmin. Cornwall.

PL31 1DD

+44 (0)1208 72114 (ext 725)

Find FdA Digital Media here on UCAS


Key Information Sets (KIS) are comparable sets of information about full- or part-time undergraduate courses and are designed to meet the information needs of prospective students. The data is compiled by HEFCE and includes measures of student satisfaction from the National Student Survey (NSS), completed by more than 220,000 final year students in the UK each year.